“Mediocrity begins with me” is the building block of belief which I am going to build the foundation of 2013 upon because I want this new year to be anything but mediocre. Therefore it is important to remind myself that mediocre results, a mediocre life, a mediocre experience and even a mediocre day begins with me.If I don’t like something about my current life conditions, it is within my power to change it… if you don’t like something about your current life conditions, it is also within your power to change that. Unless you believe the excuses… the lies which we tell ourselves and allow other people to fill our heads with.
One of the biggest challenges that I help people overcome is their lack of belief in themselves, the belief that the quality of their life experience is beyond their own control. People tell me all sorts of excuses about why their life conditions are not meeting their aspirations and expectations and rarely do people take personal responsibility for the current state of their lives. One of the most empowering realizations that we can make as human beings is the understanding that the quality of the life that we live is entirely within our control.
Our current life conditions are not something which somebody does to us, it is the result of choices which we’ve made in the past, conditions which we’ve accepted or incorrect decisions which we’ve made in the past. Sir Winston Churchill said “Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it” and the same holds true for failing to accept personal responsibility for the current state of our affairs. Blaming somebody else for the current state of your life robs you of the opportunity to change it. Therefore the understanding that “Mediocrity begins with me” is the perfect building block for 2013 because it establishes a strong foundation for the brickwork of change in the form of personal responsibility.
Here are some ideas for making positive changes in your life and eliminating mediocrity:
- Accept personal responsibility for your contribution to the current state of your life conditions. Stop blaming other people and events for the state of your life.
- Decide to live a life which is exceptional and stop accepting “good enough’ as a state of existence.
- Make better decisions about who you associate with, what you do with your spare time, how you approach your day, etc., by taking a moment to consciously think about how your actions, associations and participation in an activity effect your life conditions.
- Do not wait for favorable conditions to initiate positive change in your life, create favorable conditions by taking positive action steps towards creating a better life. Change does not need to be dramatic or extreme, remember that small changes ripple outward.
- Elevate your level of positive thinking by committing to a path of personal development which will expand your horizons and move you forward along the path to enlightenment. Meet with a personal development coach, define your goals, explore your dreams, develop a strategy for enacting positive, empowering changes in your life.
Most of all, realize that every success is built upon failure. The challenges which we face in life present us with opportunities to grow and advance our understanding of the world in which we live. If you are uncomfortable with the current conditions of your life, be excited because discomfort provides you with the motivation to succeed beyond your wildest dreams.